Our team is here to support you and solve your power challenges. Connect with our responsive experts today to learn about our customized power solutions and products.
The AACD (Automatic Average Current Density) is an automatic rectifier voltage controller that controls the current density of the parts that are being painted in an e-coat process. By regulating current density, the AACD assures uniform paint film thickness in applications where groups of various-sized parts enter the tank at different times. This uniformity reduces paint consumption, improves quality, and can reduce or eliminate part rejection.
By using the AACD, under-coating is reduced or eliminated and over-coating is corrected. Note, too, that by correcting for over-coating, the AACD will reduce paint and energy consumption! With a short-term ROI (typically 1 – 6 months, part/loading pattern dependent), the AACD offers tremendous customer benefits when used in a continuous conveyor or batch e-coat process.
Features and Benefits
- Narrows paint film deviation between various sized parts
- Reduces/eliminates under-coating and over-coating
- If over-coating, reduces excess paint and energy consumption
- Multiple recipe control when different film thicknesses are required for various part runs
- Compatible with both continuous conveyor and batch processes
- Digital monitoring of rectifier, including voltage and current trending
- Multi-zone compatible
- Multiple PLC platforms available
- Compatible with various substrates
- May be retrofitted to most e-coat rectifiers
- Optional bath temperature voltage compensation
- When ordered with a new Controlled power rectifier, “HMI/OIT” (human-machine interface/operator interface terminal) are physically integrated into the rectifier, thus eliminating the need for an external enclosure, external single phase power, and the running of any external signal wires
- Input Power Source: Single phase 120 VAC, 60Hz; or 220 VAC, 50Hz
- Enclosure: All steel, NEMA 2 rated
- Mounting: Secures to rectifier cabinet or any vertical surface
- Weight: 60 lbs.
- Dimensions: 16”W x 8”D x 20”H
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can I save with the AACD?
We have seen savings of up to $50,000 per year and in one case even $1,000,000 per year. (Note that savings depend upon system configuration and volume of parts.)
Can the end user program the AACD?
Yes. The AACD can be programmed by the end user via a touch screen display. A technician from the factory is not required.
What improvements are achieved by using the AACD?
- Paint Savings: Variations are reduced to about +/- 0.1 mil or +/- 2.5 microns of target film builds.
- Energy Savings: The ability to control the rectifier voltage and eliminate over-coating results in less energy consumption during the e-coat process.
- Labor Savings: Automatic voltage control eliminates the need to manually adjust the voltage during the e-coat processes.
- Quality Improvements: Rework costs are drastically reduced, if not eliminated.
What tolerances on film build can I expect to achieve with the AACD?
There are many factors to consider. However, if groups of parts are loaded fairly consistently, then the AACD can achieve film build tolerances to within 0.1 mil or 2.5 microns.
Does the AACD require a part detection system?
No. The AACD uses proprietary software to set voltage levels based upon current levels in the paint tank.
What is required for AACD Installation?
- Hardwired 120V or 220V single phase source, 5A.
- Approximately 15 signal wires (16 awg or 18 awg), and one must be shielded (rectifier and configuration dependent).
- Conduit for signal wires running from the AACD enclosure to inside the rectifier.
- A Controlled Power Company technician to perform the internal wiring of the rectifier and the initial setup of the system.
Will the AACD work with any rectifier manufacturer?
Yes! The AACD is a universal product which can be wired to control any adjustable DC power supply.